Publicly Speaking

Bettering the speaking skills of professionals in Asia.

About this blog

Observations, tips and commentary on public speaking I do, observe, judge and critique. Public speaking needn't be feared. And it can't be avoided. So, let's get on with developing a skill we all have and start speaking successfully.

Coaching

Keen to develop as a speaker? Have an important presentation looming? Contact me for executive speech coaching.

Pages

WCPS#2: Darren LaCroix

With the humourous contest coming up, I read and watched WCPS 2001, Darren LaCroix, the funniest Champion. As a student of comedy, Darren calls himself a comedian as well as a keynote speaker and author.

Darren's website

To see the speech, you'll need to buy the DVD.



But, I just learned last week that Darren actually went overtime in his championship speech. I checked and it's true.

"I actually went overtime," said Darren. "When the red light came on I went into my close. I left the podium and sat down knowing I had stayed within the time limit.

"However, people who were using their watches or had brought stop watches, knew I had gone too long.

It turned out that there had been a timing error and the rules of the contest state that if a timing error occurs, the speaker shall be granted 30 extra seconds. I was within the extra 30 seconds.


Darren's winning speech script

Who said luck has nothing to do with it?

1 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
     

    I inclination not approve on it. I assume polite post. Specially the appellation attracted me to review the whole story.

Post a Comment